Peel, wash, boil, bake, and then eat… It’s that simple.
You Will Need:
- 2 lbs. Unpeeled Yuca / Sweet Cassava
- 1 Medium sized pot for boiling the skinned, wedged Yuca
- Enough water to cover Yuca for boiling (add ½ Tbl. spn. salt to the water)
- A sharp knife to remove skin and shape the wedges.
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Slotted spoon for removing Yuca Wedges from hot water.*Special Note: Yuca (or Cassava) must be boiled before it is eaten.
*A detailed explanation of how to prepare various types of Yuca appears in the Introduction to Yuca blog.
1. Fill your pot with water, lightly salted and set on stovetop to boil. Ensure there is just enough water to cover the Yuca cubes.
2. Peel the Yuca
Using a sharp knife, carefully remove and discard the skin by:
a. First, cut off and discard both ‘ends’ of the Yuca.
b. Then, remove and discard the rough outer skin. Do this in one of two ways-
i. Cut the Yuca cut in half ‘lengthwise’; then use your thumbs to pry the skin off. Discard the skin.
ii. Using a sharp knife, peel and discard the skin. Careful not to remove too much of the Yuca when peeling off the skin.
iii. Cut the Yuca in half along its length.