Sea Turtle Species of Costa Rica
Posted May 2017
There are seven species of ‘Sea Turtles’ in the world.
The seven kinds are divided into two families:
- The Cheloniidae family and
- The Dermochelyidae family.
The Cheloniidae Family has 6 types of the Sea Turtles
- Olive Ridleys
- Kemp’s Olive Ridleys
- Pacific and Atlantic Greens
*Flatbacks live on the Australian continental shelf along the coastline ‘down-under’. They only nest in the region extended between Australia, Papua New Guinea and southern Indonesia.
The Dermochelyidae Family has only 1 kind of Sea Turtle
- the 7th member of the Sea Turtle species
Let’s Meet Costa Rica’s Sea Turtles
In Costa Rica, there are six Sea Turtle species and all of them nest in Costa Rica throughout the year. All are listed as endangered and protected by the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
Olive Ridleys Sea Turtles
Kemp’s Olive Ridley Sea Turtle
Pacific Green & Atlantic Green Sea Turtle
Leatherback Sea Turtle
More about Costa Rica Sea Turtles...
- The individual species and their peculiarities.
- Threats to Turtles and Other Marine Species
- Sea Turtle Conservation
- The Conservationists
- Counting Sea Turtles is Not Easy
- New Ways of Counting