Sea Turtle Species of Costa Rica
Posted May 2017
There are seven species of ‘Sea Turtles’ in the world.
The seven kinds are divided into two families:
- The Cheloniidae family and
- The Dermochelyidae family.
The Cheloniidae Family has 6 types of the Sea Turtles
- Olive Ridleys
- Kemp’s Olive Ridleys
- Pacific and Atlantic Greens
*Flatbacks live on the Australian continental shelf along the coastline ‘down-under’. They only nest in the region extended between Australia, Papua New Guinea and southern Indonesia.
The Dermochelyidae Family has only 1 kind of Sea Turtle
- the 7th member of the Sea Turtle species
Let’s Meet Costa Rica’s Sea Turtles
In Costa Rica, there are six Sea Turtle species and all of them nest in Costa Rica throughout the year. All are listed as endangered and protected by the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
Olive Ridleys Sea Turtles
Kemp’s Olive Ridley Sea Turtle
Pacific Green & Atlantic Green Sea Turtle
Leatherback Sea Turtle
More about Costa Rica Sea Turtles...
- Not Tortoises! Sea Turtles! – What’s the difference?
- Sea Turtles Then and Now
- Costa Rica's Sea Turtle Population Threat
- Fun Facts About Sea Turtles
- Sea Turtle Life Cycle
Back to Introduction: Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
Book Tour: Ostional Sea Turtle Nesting Adventure
Part 2, Sea Turtles in Costa Rica...
Costa Rica Sea Turtle Species & Peculiarities
- Sea Turtle species, description, habitat, diet & population status
Endangered Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
- Human’s cause Sea Turtle’s danger of extinction
Why Save Sea Turtles?
- Sea Turtle’s importance to ecology.
Human’s Threaten Sea Turtle Extinction
- Sea Turtle endangerment is being caused by man.
Counting Sea Turtles
- Recording the sea turtle decline
Threats to Sea Turtles
- Each threat, in-depth
Saving Sea Turtles
– The cost of conservation is minimal