Counting Sea Turtles
August 2017- Part II
Counting Sea Turtles for conservation measures, permits tracking the decline in population. Counting the species has always been a challenging job. Only females come ashore for nesting. Male Sea Turtles spend nearly their entire lives in the sea. Two factors are accountable:
- The number of nesting Sea Turtle females seen on beaches where they have established a previous count.
- The number of Sea Turtle hatchlings released into the ocean, or observed entering the ocean.
The decline in their numbers are very real and a true indication of their critical existence.
Ways to save Sea Turtles
Here we will highlight ways to assist in the battle to save Sea Turtles and the environment in general.
We will do two things:
- First, we will look at 2 of the newer threats added to those already endangering Sea Turtle survival in “Threats to Sea Turtles”.
- Secondly, we will identify the well-established problems and discuss what is currently being done to repair the damage in “Endangered Sea Turtles Facts” in "Endangered Sea Turtles in Costa Rica".
Finally, we will discuss specific ways you can assist for little or no extra cost. Most of the changes will benefit your own health and the environment at the same time.
It is important to remember all current conservation techniques will require some degree of modification in the future. The dangers to Sea Turtle populations are not static. So, the solutions will have to be modified as time-goes-by. Examine the following discussion on the ‘Recent Dangers to Sea Turtles’ in Threats to Sea Turtles. which looks at developing issues.
Part 1, Costa Rica Sea Turtles...
- Not Tortoises! Sea Turtles! – What’s the difference?
- Sea Turtles Then and Now
- Sea Turtle Population Threat
- Fun Facts About Sea Turtles
- Costa Rica Sea Turtle Species
- The Sea Turtle Life Cycle
Back to Introduction: Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
Book Your Tour: Ostional Sea Turtle Nesting Adventure
Part 2, Sea Turtles in Costa Rica...
Costa Rica Sea Turtle Species & Peculiarities
- Sea Turtle species, description, habitat, diet & population status
Endangered Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
- Human’s cause Sea Turtle’s danger of extinction
Why Save Sea Turtles?
- Sea Turtle’s importance to ecology.
Human’s Threaten Sea Turtle Extinction
- Sea Turtle endangerment is being caused by man.
Threats to Sea Turtles
- Each threat, in-depth
Saving Sea Turtles
– The cost of conservation is minimal
Remember to go on Blue River Tours’s Ostional Sea Turtle Nesting Adventure