Endangered Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
August 2017- Part II
In Costa Rica and throughout the world, almost all Sea Turtle species are classified as Endangered. Poaching and over-exploitation takes place because they are being slaughtered for their eggs, meat, skin and shells. Sea turtles face habitat destruction and are accidentally captured by fishermen. The changing climate is also negatively affecting sea turtle nesting sites.
Threats to Sea Turtles and our Environment
Will you stand-by and watch a living, breathing, specie, disappear, become extinct and vanish from sight into the pages of a history book?
If the thought moves you then let’s discuss what can be done to save endangered Sea Turtles in Costa Rica and throughout the world.
Endangered Sea Turtle Facts
- All members of the Sea Turtle Family are endangered.
- The world’s Oceans are all polluted and are a threat to Sea Turtles. Anything adversely affecting the ocean is a threat to Sea Turtles.
- Sea Turtles spend 95% of their lives swimming the oceans of the world and only females come ashore to nest.
- Sea Turtles are air breathing reptiles, with four-limbs and a vertebrate. Their time available underwater is limited by their lung capacity. They can drown.
- In a relaxed setting, the average Sea Turtle can remain submerged for 2-6 hours; then they must surface for fresh-air. If a Sea Turtle becomes trapped underwater, the struggle to free themselves will shorten their time available underwater, after which they drown.
Part 1, Costa Rica Sea Turtles...
- Not Tortoises! Sea Turtles! – What’s the difference?
- Sea Turtles Then and Now
- Sea Turtle Population Threat
- Fun Facts About Sea Turtles
- Costa Rica Sea Turtle Species
- The Sea Turtle Life Cycle
Back to Introduction: Sea Turtles in Costa Rica
Book Your Tour: Ostional Sea Turtle Nesting Adventure
Part 2, Sea Turtles in Costa Rica...
Costa Rica Sea Turtle Species & Peculiarities
- Sea Turtle species, description, habitat, diet & population status
Why Save Sea Turtles?
- Sea Turtle’s importance to ecology.
Human’s Threaten Sea Turtle Extinction
- Sea Turtle endangerment is being caused by man.
Counting Sea Turtles
- Recording the sea turtle decline
Threats to Sea Turtles
- Each threat, in-depth
Saving Sea Turtles
– The cost of conservation is minimal
Remember: Take Blue River Tours’s Ostional Sea Turtle Nesting Adventure