Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Directions
This page provides location, directions and maps to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs. Driving here is about 90 minutes by car or shuttle from the international airport (LIR) in Liberia, Costa Rica, which is the gateway to the beach resorts of Guanacaste. The drive is spectacular in itself as you leave behind the dry hot weather of the beach and ascend into cool, lush and green rainforest. We are at base of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park, along the north Caribbean side. The surroundings include panoramic views of the volcano, jungles, grand waterfalls and blue volcanic rivers.
Contact Us to say where you'll be and we'll arrange a shuttle. Here are a few helpful links and below that contains practical information.
>> Location of Blue River Resort and other Atrractions on Google Maps
>> Blue River Resort & Hot Springs on Google maps.
Read on our blog about:
>> Getting to Costa Rica
>> Preparing for a Vacation in Costa Rica
>> Capturing the Moment (photos)
Hotel Blue River Resort & Hot Springs - on map programs
When inputting the name on mapping programs like Google maps please use the above name or the longitude and lattitude coordinates. Unfortunately, people have inputted other locations for Blue River Resort and some of our guests end up at the wrong location.
Del puente de Río Azul en Gavilán, 500 metros al norte, Fraccionamiento IDA.
El Gavilan 21306, Costa Rica
Longitude and Latitude (for GPS):
Blue River Estate and Blue River Resort Hot Springs & Spa are located less than a kilometer apart, within the district of Dos Rios, just inside the province of Alajuela. There are several villages in close proximity; chief among them, Dos Ríos.
From Liberia, Costa Rica
From the Liberia International Airport (Daniel Oduber) to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, signs have been placed at key locations along the road, indicating directions and distance to the resort. This makes getting here easy. The road network is well-paved except for the final 20 km, which is gravel. The scenery along the way is spectacular! Along your drive the environment will gradually change from dry hot pastures to cool, tropical and lush rainforest, with gorgeous mountain views.
These directions begin from the Pan American Highway, at the major traffic light intersection in Liberia with a McDonalds on the northeast corner. Please note that many current maps incorrectly show Quebrada Grande as Garcia Flamenco (its former name) and do not include the road network that extends past the town. See the map below.
- Travel north 24 km (towards Nicaragua). Watch for and follow signs leading to Quebrada Grande and Blue River Resort & Hot Springs.
- Turn right (east) toward Quebrada Grande, driving past Potrerillos and through Quebrada Grande.
- The road follows past a park on your right and abruptly turns left. You'll continue through a few villages and through a section of the Guanacaste Conservation Area (ACG) which leads to the town of Dos Rios.
- Come to Dos Rios, drive to the end of the road and turn right. Go one block and turn left. Again, follow the signs to Blue River Resort and Hot Springs.
- Drive through the village of El Gavilán and cross-the bridge, over the river, Rio Azul - one of two volcanic blue rivers here, and worth a look.
- A little further down on the other side of the bridge, come to a corner with a sign pointing out the left turn required to reach to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, 600 meters down that road.
By car, the drive takes approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours.
If you're coming from La Cruz, go south along the Pan American. Turn east (left) toward Quebrada Grande and follow the above directions.
From Upala, Alajuela
Upala, Alajuela is a less travelled, scenic route. The final 24 km are along a gravel road. There are fewer well-marked signs showing the way to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, so don't hesitate to stop and ask locals for directions.
Need help planning the rest of your Costa Rica Vacations? (takes you to GoVisitCostaRica.com)
Imagine a rainforest in your backyard and a national park
as your neighbor!