Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, Costa Rica
Advocating for the Environment and Children
Sustainable tourism and Blue River Resort & Hot Springs are one in the same as we advocate sustainable tourism throughout Costa Rica. Not only are we an eco-friendly Costa Rican resort, but everything we offer showcases the pristine natural surroundings.
Our first priority in our “eco” mantra is protecting our surrounding natural resources. Maintaining a "green" outlook means we are 100% committed to environmental practices that will sustain us and minimize our impact on land.
Our second priority is targeting children in Costa Rica to educate them about ecology and the importance of sustainable environmental practices.
Certification in Sustainable Tourism (CST)
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs participates in the Certification in Sustainable Tourism Program (CST), which is a product of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT). CST is a way to differentiate our tourism model amongst other businesses based on the degree to which we comply with a sustainable model of natural, cultural and social resource management.
CST is regulated by the Costa Rica National Accreditation Commission and consists of a scale of 5 "levels" of sustainable tourism achievement. Each level is depicted as a leaf. In April 2011, Blue River Resort was accredited with three leafs and over time we expect to achieve the highest level of sustainable tourism.
CST requires structuring our activities to reduce and reuse the resources required to operate and maintain our business. This also requires choosing eco-friendly products. Costa Rica is a world leader in eco-travel. We also encourage participation and support from citizens and visitors alike. The owners and staff of Blue River Resort & Hot Springs are truly committed to sustainable tourism.
Costa Rica Definition of Sustainable Tourism
"The development of sustainable tourism must be seen as the balanced interaction between the use of our natural and cultural resources, the improvement of the quality of life among the local communities, and the economic success of the industry, which also contributes to national development. Sustainable tourism is not only a response to demand, but also an imperative condition to successfully compete now and in the future." - Certification in Sustainable Tourism, 1997
Costa Rica's CST represents a new form of competitiveness which encourages a tourism product that is sustainable, thereby opening new possibilities in the industry.
Leading by Example
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs showcases one of Costa Rica's ecological jewels, making us feel obligated and honored to lead by example. This requires commitment and dedication to: discipline, integrity, team work, safety practices, honesty, responsibility, social values, solidarity, professionalism and friendliness. As a result, we will not only protect the Rincon de la Vieja mountain environment, but we will also teach and be a role model for sustainable tourism and social practices throughout Costa Rica and the world. Examples include:
- Products are recycled, biodegradable or returnable. This includes the separation of garbage into glass, plastic, aluminum, paper, carton and organic products.
- Natural mineral hot springs used for the pools flow back into the hot springs rivers. back into the hot springs rivers.
- Water for washing, toilets and for cooking are separately treated. The clean water runs into a pond, where we grow tilapia fish, and then runs back into a creek.
- All organic material becomes food for our compost and then fertilizer in our gardens. All fertilizers and pesticides are of organic nature to avoid harm to the environment.
- Programs are practiced to conserve the consumption of water and electricity, including energy-efficient appliances.
- Office staff is converting to a mostly-paperless system.
- At the restaurants, reusable linen table cloths and napkins are offered to minimize the use of paper products.
- During tours, we avoid disturbing wildlife and vegetation.
- Respect and acceptance of the cultural practices, beliefs and values is shown to the locals and guests.
- Staff are selected for their belief in supporting the environment and trained to comply with environmental policies and practices. They teach our guests to discover the many natural wonders; but also model and educate a respect for environmental practices.
- Our suppliers are partners in good practices for environmentally- friendly programs. Those who show honest, ethical and sustainable commitment through their actions are given priority. All detergents and cleaning products in use throughout the hotel are certified biodegradable and eco-friendly.
- Clients are encouraged to take the lessons we model and practice sustainable environmental practices at home.
- Government laws and regulations are adhered to. This includes but is not limited to natural environments, cultural patrimony and business development. Volunteer programs that save time and resources will be practiced.
As part of responsible travel, sustainable tourism and ecotourism means knowing more about the destination's social, political and environmental issues. This will not only enhance your experience, it makes you a responsible consumer.
We hope this information adds to the richness of your experience in the rainforest at Blue River Resort & Hot Springs. Part of promoting sustainable tourism comes with the hope that you are able to incorporate these practices into your daily lives. Be a responsible traveler while you are on vacation. After you leave the rainforest hotel of Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, we hope you will also have a positive impact on the other places you visit. Enjoy the rainforest and Rincon de la Vieja while contributing to the well-being of communities and to the sustainable conservation of our planet!