Plantos Maduros Fritos
Like Patacones, Fried Ripe Plantains is a popular dish that is considered a staple among many in Costa Rica. However instead of green plantains, the main ingredient is ripened yellow plantains. They are served fresh at Blue River Costa Rica Resort & Hot Springs along the Rincon de la Vieja. Let’s discover the taste and pleasures associated with a ripe plantain which will be the color yellow (or can get away with blackened).
Previously we indicated that when peeling the skin off the Green Plantain, as when preparing the Twice Fried Patacones, you will encountered a ‘tacky-stain’ on the inside of the skin. Remember to lather your hands with a teaspoon of cooking oil to prevent the stain sticking to them. This stain goes away as the Plantain ripens and it can be peeled without the sticky stain. There is no need to lather the hands in oil when handling Ripe Plantains.
Utensils to Have on Hand for Preparing Ripe Plantains
- 1 Pan suitable for frying
- 1 Spatula (or metal tongs) to turn the Plantains as they fry.
- Absorbent tissue to drain the fried Plantains on after frying.
- 1 Serving dish.
- 2 Ripe Plantains (or as many as you choose)
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil (about ¼” deep in the pan)
- Peel the Ripe Plantains and discard the skins.
- Slice the remaining fruit across or diagonally (about 1” thick) as when frying Twice Fried Patacones.
- Set the slices aside for frying in the hot oil.
- Heat the oil in the pan till it starts to bubble slowly, not too hot or the sugar in the plantain will burn and taste slightly bitter. Adjust the temperature till it is similar to that used to fry an egg.
- Exercise caution when placing the Plantain slices in the hot oil. Do so gently such that the oil does not splash and burn, using a spatula or tongs.
- These slices will fry up quickly and turn bright yellow on the edges, turn them at this point to cook on the other side (10-20 seconds only). The fully cooked Plantain will be soft and tender; NOT CRISP.
- They are fully cooked in a short while and they then take on a glossy-yellow glow; if they are overcooked they will turn black. Properly cooked Plantains should be soft and unburned.
- Remove the plantain slices once cooked and place on the absorbent material.
- Transfer the fried slices to a suitable serving-dish and serve as an accompaniment to the main course.
- As a breakfast dish they are often served with eggs, for the other meals of the day Fried Ripe Plantains go with anything.
- Do not worry if you do burn a few in the learning process. Simply reduce the pan temperature and toss the burned ones out; you will soon be an expert at this dish.
If you coming to Rincon de la Vieja for a visit to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs soon, then you are soon in for a treat.